Skip to main content

No longer alcohol dependant thanks to Naltrexone and the Sinclair Method.

Fourteen weeks ago I started on a journey to cure myself of alcohol dependency via a little known at home treatment using Naltrexone in conjunction with the Sinclair Method.

When I say little known, that is to say it's little known in Australia but not in Finland where upwards of 77,000 Fins have been cured of alcoholism using the same method.   It's a safe and inexpensive treatment done in the privacy of your own home with many added bonusses...  Dignity is restored, shame is removed, the symptoms of depression and anxiety lift within a relatively short period.

The short explanation of how the Sinclair Method works is NALTREXONE + DRINK = CURE but before you dive blindly into that there is more you need to be aware of.  

Online support is invaluable.  You'll be warmly welcomed and greatly helped at Options Save Lives forum which is moderated by C Three Foundation.

Online education is imperative.  Dispel the myths about Naltrexone and gain clear and concise information about how the Sinclair Method works by reading digital version of The Cure For Alcoholism by Dr Roy Eskapa.  Visit The Sinclair Method's site.  Visit C Three Foundation's site. 

The guidance of your GP is not important because very few in Australia have an understanding of TSM.  GPs will automatically request abstinence (and you'll find out more about WHY in the Dr Roy Eskapa's book)  but the prescription for Naltrexone is key.  If you find that your own GP is not forthcoming, visit the Options Save Lives forum where there is a thread for Australians (by Australians) who can point you in the right direction.  (There is a thread for nearly every country).

When I started my journey, I was very hopeful of a cure but not convinced.  At 14 weeks in, I am wholly convinced.  The proof lies in the fact that I no longer crave alcohol.  I get to that time of day where, for the last 10 years I have poured my first drink, and no longer think about it.  I simply don't miss it.  

When I first started TSM, my goal was to cut down to normal/safe drinking levels and maybe 2 alcohol free days per week. Giving up alcohol wasn't part of the plan.

The thought of giving up actually filled me with fear. A life without alcohol? Was that even a life? The first GP I saw wrote me a script for Campral and his receptionist begged me to abstain (she actually did!). She made me promise to her before I left the Doctor's office. This freaked me out because the last thing I wanted was to abstain, particularly because I had geared myself up to start TSM.  Campral/abstinence was not the path I saw myself on. To me abstinence equated to pain/isolation/boring people.

My views regarding abstinence have changed along the journey as well. My previous self definitely saw it as a negative. My new self doesn't have a need for the word abstinence. I prefer the word, "choice". I'm not abstaining, I'm just not feeling like drinking.

I never ever thought I would be at this point where I am no longer daily drinking (nor wanting to) and so if I can do this, I reckon anyone can do it.


Comments

  1. Congratulations! You seem to have firm control of your drinking, well done indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Overdrinking and desperately looking for a solution to reduce my intake.

By mid-July 2017 I had to be honest with myself.  I had a problem with alcohol. It was hard to link the words "problem with alcohol" with how I presented myself to society.  I'm a respectable person - a successful small business owner, designer, mother, wife, somewhat of a high-achiever, always on the go, creative, stylish, well presented.  How did this happen to me? What caused me to start hiding the amount I drank (from my husband), waiting for him to leave the room so I could sneak another drink without him knowing.  Why did I clock watch for 5.30pm to come around so I could pour a drink?  And get agitated if I couldn't have one at the regular time. Was I alone in this?  In thinking about my friendships, I suspected not but no one ever talks about problems with alcohol.  It's a secret shame and one that I have lived with for at least 10 years. I turned 50 in March and organised an 80's themed party for myself - complete with a DJ, drinks waiter, che

My Naltrexone honeymoon.

Reading around the C Three Foundation forum " Options Save Lives " has made me realise that I am not actually an "early responder" but I am in the honeymoon phase.  From what I can understand, in the early stages the Naltrexone has the upper hand but after a couple of weeks, the brain will fight back wanting its fix and that's when I may see an increase in the cravings.  I'm going to ride with it.   Until then, I'll continue as I have been and won't force an alcohol free day because there's really no point until I experience the "fight for the fix". Then I'll know what I'm in for!  Here is information from C3 regarding the Honeymoon phase...   "It's like the term 'Quick Responders' or 'Early Responders'. This is something that we at C3 are working on clarifying for people. We have seen people on this forum notice an immediate reduction and call themselves a quick/early responder, without realising tha